My breakfasts needs are pretty simple.
- Prep-less as I stumble around my kitchen before the sun rises searching through half-opened eyelids for coffee.
- Portable to bring to work with me, since I eat it after my morning workout.
- Sweet. I love starting (and ending) my day with something sweet.
- Filled with fiber and nutrients to keep my full and energized until my next meal.
- A good combination of protein and healthy carbohydrates to recover post-workout. If you’re working your butt off (or on, I should say) at the gym and not seeing results, look very closely at your post-workout meal (or nutrition in general).
- It must improve my digestion, not wreck havoc on it.
When the weather starts to get warmer, I crave something cool and refreshing. Not always the easiest thing to bring prepped because who wants to eat day-old cold eggs or a melted smoothie?
Overnight Oats to the rescue!
This creamy recipe takes all of 5 minutes to prep the night (or a couple nights) before, it’s packed with fiber and vital nutrients, tastes A-mazing, and is perfect pre or post-workout. Raw oats are considered “resistant starches” because they digest lower in our intestines. This promotes healthy gut bacteria which aids in digestion – aka less bloating! The addition of chia seeds gives your body some extra calcium, potassium, magnesium, and Omega-3 fatty acids which help reduce inflammation. They absorb the liquid they’re in, giving these overnight oats a thicker, pudding-like texture.
Simple Superfood Overnight Oats
Makes 1 serving
1/2 cup raw old fashioned oats
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tbsp Chia seeds
Vanilla vegan (or whey*) protein powder (sometimes I omit this and just eat egg whites on the side too!*)
Organic frozen berries
Stevia to taste (I use about a tbsp of granulated or 2-4 drops of liquid)
Cinnamon to taste
*Not a vegan food.
- Combine all ingredients in a mason jar or tupper ware.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight or for 3-5 hours.
- Stir and enjoy!
Health and happiness,