Pumpkin rightfully holds a lot of the spotlight this time of year. However, I think it’s about time to give it’s close running-mate a little bit of the stage. If we’re being honest, I would choose an apple crisp or pie over pumpkin any day! Oh yes, I said it. Come for me pumpkin police!
I love the tangy and sweet taste of apple. I also love the crisp texture of raw and the soft, gooey texture of baked apples. Unfortunately, eating apple crisp on a regular basis would make me feel sluggish, bloated, and give me crazy blood sugar crashes. That doesn’t mean I’m not enjoying the decadent taste of baked apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and buttery almonds. Instead, thanks to a few helpful Pinterest recipes like this and this, I come up with a delicious but also gluten-free, refined sugar-free, high-protein Apple Pie Protein Donuts recipe!
I love making a dozen of these donuts on Sunday meal prep to have for breakfast and snacks. They’re extremely easy to make and you probably have 90% of the ingredients in your pantry already. They are delicious dipped in coconut or almond milk, coffee, or warm herbal tea after dinner. And, they totally fit into your Life in Spandex Eat Guide!
Apple Pie Protein Donuts
Makes 8 donuts
4 scoops vegan vanilla protein powder
1/2 cup almond flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
For a sweeter donut – 5 drops liquid Stevia or 1/4 cup granulated Stevia or coconut sugar (optional)
1/2 cup egg whites or 1 egg
1 tbsp melted coconut oil
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut or almond milk
1 apple chopped
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp coconut oil
- . Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all of the donut dry ingredients in a medium bowl and mixed until combined.
- Combine all of the donut wet ingredients in a separate medium bowl. Whisk until fully combined
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until completely mixed.
- Spray a donut tray with coconut oil cooking spray. Pour batter into the tray.
- Bake donuts for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the donuts bake, put chopped apples, cinnamon, and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 2 to 5 minutes or until there’s liquid at the bottom and the apples are soft and fragrant.
- Take donuts out of the oven and top with apple topping when ready to eat.
LIS Servings per donut: 1 fat, 1/4 carb, 1/2 protein